Connected to Place supports partnerships and organizations to advance social change including climate action, sustainable living, place-based education, and access to urban nature.
- Primary services include planning, implementation and assessment of cross-sector partnerships.
- Services include customized planning, research, meeting and retreat facilitation, report writing and presentations.
- San Francisco Children and Nature (a cross-sector collaborative), California State’s Environmental Literacy Steering Committee, ChangeScale (a regional environmental education collaborative), San Francisco Bicycle Coalition, Stanford University, and San Mateo County Office of Education.
- Prior work has included research and advisory services for Stanford University Parking and Transportation Services, California Academy of Sciences and numerous high schools.
- Partnership strategies among organizations (collective impact, network leadership, etc.)
- Strategic planning, implementation of activities and measuring progress
- Qualitative research methods including community listening sessions, in-depth interviews, photovoice and purposive, paired sample design
- Meeting facilitation (use Essential Facilitation methods )
- Sustainable living: nexus of environmental, community and individual well-being
- Behavioral science including the role of context, lived experience, motivation and competence
- Behavior change strategies including use of social and cultural influence, technology and learning
- Educational approaches, formally and learning in everyday life
- Personal transportation behavior and alternative transportation options
- Commute alternative programs
Matt Biggar, Principal of Connected to Place, has 25 years of combined experience as an organizational leader, educator, researcher and consultant. Matt earned my Ph.D. at Stanford University and conducted interdisciplinary research involving environmental sustainability, behavioral science, behavior-related learning, personal transportation choices, and collaborative approaches to social change among organizations. Prior to his work in social science research, Matt served as an administrator and teacher in the public school system for 17 years, including 6 years as a high school principal and 3.5 years as a district associate superintendent. Matt has been deeply involved in change efforts throughout my career.